Willeford's Wild Wives (Was RE: RARA-AVIS: Long Books)

From: John & Carrie ( johncarrie@sprynet.com)
Date: 11 Feb 2000

Bill Crider sed:

> Speaking of long books, as we were, a couple of weeks ago I was in a
> Half-Price Books in Houston and saw a stack of an edition of Charles
> Willeford's WILD WIVES, published by ReSearch Publications in 1987. I
> bought one because my copy of the Beacon edition is so brittle I've never
> read it. It checks in at 102 pages. Hard, fast, not a wasted word. But
> I'll bet it would never be published today. But then Willeford
> had to sell
> it to Beacon in the first place, so I guess none of the other houses would
> take it even in the '50s.

I absolutely love this book!!! It epitomizes for me the weird goofiness that lies behind the genre, not to mention the double and triple cross of the noir world. It starts out as almost a straight PI book, but then degenerates into this exhilarating story of obsession and greed....with little hints of degeneracy and ludicrous plot twists. Jim Thompson meets Raymond Chandler. I just wish I could find the flip side of the original double paperback, High Priest of California. A great fun book!

Tribe