Re: RARA-AVIS: M.E. Chaber/Milo March

From: Anders Engwall ( Anders.Engwall@uab.ericsson.se)
Date: 11 Feb 2000

Bob Toomey:

> Don't know much about Chaber, but a factoid rises from the murk: I read
> somewhere he was the first fiction writer to use LSD as a major plot
> device, in a 1955 novel called THE SPLINTERED MAN. I haven't read the
> book, but I've seen a reprint of the pb cover somewhere. It shows a guy
> in his skivvies being held by a couple of heavies while another heavy
> comes at him with a nasty looking hypodermic needle.

Ah, yes. It seems you saw it in HARDBOILED AMERICA by Geoffrey O'Brien. The guy in the skivvies is a CIA agent, the two heavies holding him are East German prison guards and the guy with the needle is a scientist who's into LSD experiments. O'Brien also quotes a segment from the novel where the CIA guy describes the effects of the drug, and it's all hilarious acid head babble that could have been straight outta the summer of love. Sounds like an interesting read.