Re: RARA-AVIS: Crafty argument

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 09 Feb 2000

Greg Swan again:

> Wow. I think Wilson got it almost all right 15 years after the fact in
> 1944! He spotted the 19th century influence on the plotting (Holmes), the
> realism that Hammett dropped on a pulp scene which primarily published
> romantic adventure fiction ("new shudder")

 In another essay he praises Chandler saying, "The only one of this group of writers[detective story] --my correspondents have praised--one who seems to possess it [artistic gift for telling stories] to any degree is Raymond Chandler. His Farewell my Lovely is the only oneof these books I have read all of and read with enjoyment."

He goes on to say that Chandler does not belong in the school of mysteries headed by Hammett, but really writes adventure books like Grahame Greene's spy novels or even Alfred Hitchcock's movies! Mark