Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Horror?

From: Z0MB0Y@aol.com
Date: 09 Feb 2000

In a message dated 2/8/00 10:39:26 PM Pacific Standard Time, btoomey@javanet.com writes:

<< Actually, I was talking about literary horror, not movie horror. In the
 classical sense, the literary horror story seeks to create fear in the
 audience. Fear is not a cynical emotion. >>

    I had mentioned Ramsey Campbell in a previous post, and Joe Landsdale had been mentioned before that. If Campbell's romantic, then Raymond Chandler might as well be one of the Bronte sisters.
    If you're saying that horror is romantic because it engages the imagination, then maybe some of it is, (to that extent only). But there is plenty of horror that deals pretty exclusively with the horrors of the real world. To that extent, horror becomes an extension of the evening news.