RARA-AVIS: An inquiry

From: Kent Johnson ( kjohnson@slip.net)
Date: 08 Feb 2000

"But the author, whose name escapes me at the moment, uses a writing technique with which I'm unfamiliar. He has dialogue but no quotes"

I'm currently reading James Crumley's BORDERSNAKES (excellent book) and he does an interesting variation on this. Shugrue narrates one chapter in which whatever anyone else says in a conversation is in quotes, while whatever he says is not and is more a paraphrase than a quote. I liked the effect. It felt like you were in his head, watching him think the dialog rather than speak it.