Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Horror?

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Feb 2000

I strongly disagree with the notion that a hardboiled/horror marriage is impossible. In my life I've stumbled across all sorts of hardboiled marriages: hb westerns, hb SF tales, hb poetry
(Bukowski), hb memoirs (Burrough's JUNKY), etc. Since
"hardboiled" is a perspective, a way of looking at the world, it can be applied, I think, to any literary genre. Why not hardboiled horror?

One obvious indication that such a marriage might be successful is the large number of people who like both genres. This suggests, to me at least, that people are responding to something similar in both. Another is the many, many writers who've tried to blend the two genres already.

I quite agree with you, though, that recent attempts to blend the two have been unsuccessful. That doesn't mean that it's not worth trying, especially if you're interested in horror (a genre that, in my opinion, has managed to back itself into an aesthetic dead-end). It may mean redefining the nature of "horror" in horror fiction, but, well, the genre could use the jumpstart.

By the way, I'm quite taken with my own notion
(suggested by the Lovecraft/Woolrich comparision) that Woolrich is better approached as a fantasist. The next time I try a Woolrich book (I have STRANGLER'S SERENADE somewhere) I'm going to read it in that light.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com