RE: RARA-AVIS: MR. WHITE'S CONFESSION

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Feb 2000

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I was trying to very generally describe the difference between a
"hardboiled" and "noir" outlook. I hope whoever posted that original message was helped a little by what I said.

On a competely different note, I finally caught up with Estleman's Amos Walker. I read SUGARTOWN and while I enjoyed it, I agree with the criticisms I read here that Walker's anachronistic. It's not the manner in which Walker does his job that bothers me -- as I've said here before, those kind of surface details don't interest me much -- so much as the plot's overly reminiscent of other hardboiled stories. There is, for example, a "drug the detective" section straight out of FAREWELL MY LOVELY.

To draw an analogy: every now and then you'll stumble across a rock band that specializes in playing in a 1960's garage style, or a 1950's rockabilly style. These bands can be very good, but there's no getting past the fact that you're listening to a mannered replica of a better original. That's sort of what I feel about Walker

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com