RARA-AVIS: Pelecanos

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 08 Feb 2000

I've read "Nick's Trip" halfway through (it was the only Pelecanos in Turku city library besides "The Sweet Forever" and that wasn't available) and have been slightly disappointed. I understand the meaning of telling about Stefanos's relationships, but I'm bored with them. I don't mean that there should action instead, but if I want a sitcom, I rather sit and watch it on TV than read it from a hardboiled novel! I mean it's vital for the genre that the characters' normal lives are described since everyone, including P.I's, has a normal life, but it's a bit boring. But the masturbation scene was mildly funny. But does it relate with the story? There's always something nagging in my head when I read stuff like this (Burke, Crumley, Muller, Howard Engel) that the book isn't *deep* enough to be really interesting on this level, that the accounts of the persons' everyday lives isn't good enough. There should be something else. I don't know what it is - maybe I'm thinking about writers like William Thackeray, who describes the whole epoch through the lives of five or six different persons. There is so much more in that stuff than in the petty masturbating stuff that the so called hardboiled writers now provide us with.

Just my thoughts, like someone said.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi