Re: RARA-AVIS: Misleading titles

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 08 Feb 2000

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Ron Clinton wrote:

> Having just gotten a bit more serious about reading Charles Willeford's
> backlist, I just tonight completed THE WOMAN CHASER, a wonderful and odd
> little book. But one thing that immediately occured to me upon completion
> was the total mistitling of the novel. For instance, (A) there were few
> women characters in the book, (B) the main characters certainly wasn't
> "chasing" them, and (C) unless I missed some very very VERY subtle subtext
> in the book, "chasing women" wasn't high on our self-absorbed, sociopathic
> filmmaker's To Do List...while spewing his bitterness toward his fellow
> man - and indeed his own life - on celluloid certainly was.

I had similar feelings. Woman chaser?! Yeah, right! Only woman he seemed to chase was his mother! And the reprint I read - cant' remember the publisher - was given a P.I. look with shades pulled and a lonely beam of light coming through the window and showing a bit of whiskey bottle. If you give it a closer look, you might be able to identify the other thing on the table as a typing machine, but not if you just glance at it. Hoax, I say, hoax - even though I liked the book.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi