Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Pellecanos (and Adams)

From: WordRunner@aol.com
Date: 07 Feb 2000

Hi Greg,
    I guess I've never seen Pelacanos as a guy who did anything "slyly," and even if I believed he's doing what you say he's doing, ("intruding the postmodern on the neo-realistic world") after the first fifty or so iterations, I'd have to say "OKAY. I"VE GOT IT. GET ON WITH THE STORY! I believe that one of the first, and few, obligations of the fiction writer, and especially the hard-boiled crime writer, is to tell a fast, lean tale. George P. can do that; he just chooses (often) not to do it, and I think the other stuff becomes mannered, author speak, and gets in the way of his story, a mistake Hammett never made.

                                        Jim Blue