Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Horror?

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 06 Feb 2000

> Why don't we just declare everything hard-boiled noir and be done with it?

Then we could talk about those hardboiled noir Danielle Steele novels, right?

So, I don't know what that remark was really supposed to mean. Sorry.

Don't we see in films and books now that so many things can be "noir tinged" or have "noir overtones"? They aren't directly related to what many consider mainstream noir, but they want those elements. Like that TV show "Angel." Horrible vampire-teen show, but all the critics are tossing "noir" at it. I watched it and said, "Maybe because it all happens at night? Thus, vampires?" I can see the connection, but it's a flavoring, a dash, not a real ingredient. Still....