Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir & Gothic

From: Sharon Villines ( sharonvillines@prodigy.net)
Date: 05 Feb 2000

> Gothic and noir share so many elements, but because of the
> "feminization" of gothic early on, they sort of laughed my comments off, as
> they were moreinterested in talking about gender issues and historical
> perspective in defining what gothic is.

I think this is a very interesting connection, particularly since both are so much regarded as styles or attitude-driven rather than subject driven. It is the flavor you remember first, not the specific story.

Now if we can get Rebecca rewritten by Cornell Woolrich.... and remade by a noir director....

Sharon

--
Sharon Villines, Butler
The MacGuffin Guide to Mystery