Re: RARA-AVIS: Wandrei's LAST PIN...

From: John Woolley ( jwoolley@dna420.mcit.com)
Date: 04 Feb 2000

Ron Clinton writes:
> Has anyone read THE LAST PIN, a collection of hardboiled stories by Howard
> Wandrei, best known for his sci-fi/fantasy material, and published in
> hardcover by Fedogan & Bremer a couple years ago? Any opinions...is it
> worth picking up?

I read it, and I enjoyed it, but I'm a little ashamed of having enjoyed it. The writing is vigorous, the stories well-paced, the plots generally preposterous in their details. Most of them are the kind of stories that were called "spicy" back in pulp days -- lots of nudity, with the fact of the nudity but not the nudes themselves closely, even lecherously, described. Gunfights, car chases, nude girls, unmixedly evil villains, heroic rescues, more nudes -- and not a cell phone in sight. I say, check it out.

-- Fr. John Woolley