RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Westerns

From: John & Carrie ( johncarrie@sprynet.com)
Date: 01 Feb 2000

And BobT wrote:

> Makes me think of that great Japanese action series about Zatoichi, the
> blind swordsman, whose senses are so acute he can pluck a fly out of the
> air with his chopsticks.
>
> BobT

It's amazing how this big circle keeps on eating it's tail, isn't it? Sergio Leone's A Fistful of Dollars was based on Kurosawa's Yojimbo (sp?), while The Magnificent Seven (can't recall the director) was in turn based on Kurosawa's Seven Samurai.

And while briefly on the subject of westerns....aren't Leone's spaghetti westerns incredible??? Lee Van Cleef has got to be the most visually evil looking character ever!!! Hell, take those Italian westerns, place them in LA or Chicago with streetgangs or cops and gangsters, and ya have something that is noir as all hell!

Tribe