Re: RARA-AVIS: Black Lizard /Carco

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 01 Feb 2000

--- Juri Nummelin < jurnum@utu.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Bob Toomey wrote:
A. CARCO
> Who is this Carco guy? There was a French writer by
> that name, but early
> in the thirties.
>
> > Perversity, Francis Carco

I was surprised as well, but just because apparently there is a translation of one of his novels. Francis Carco, author and poet, was especially known for his "romans de mauvais garcons", depicting pimps, small time outlaws..etc in novels published in literary collections. His style was "near populist", with realist settings (for the thirties in France0. The most famous of his novels was: Jesus La Caille. Carco was a successful author in pre WW2 France and until the early 50's. Carco died in 1958.

As for Perversity, I do not know which original novel is translated under that title (anybody got the book?)

B STEIN
> And this is a surprise. Stein making Stein making a
> thriller a thriller
> a thriller is a rose? Anyone read it?
>
> > Blood on the Dining Room Floor, Gertrude Stein

This is a rather well known fact about her works. I did not read it however.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384