RARA-AVIS: Recently Read

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Jan 2000

Just gave up on Max Byrd's CALIFORNIA THRILLER, a rather dull detective novel dealing with a missing newspaper man in San Francisco. The influence of Robert Parker is strong here -- our hero is a tough guy with a sensitive, literate streak, the kind of guy who can beat the hell out of a lowlife and still find time to appreciate a "fine set of Boswell's Johnson", for instance.

Reading Byrd, though, made me appreciate Parker more. I'm no fan of the Spenser books, not by any means, but at least they're funny -- indeed, sometimes the humor manages to carry some weak stories (EARLY AUTUMN, CEREMONY). The Parker imitators that I've read (like Byrd, and Jeremiah Healy also comes to mind) take themselves far too seriously. In my opinion.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com