Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Bestsellerdom (was Blade Runner)

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 27 Jan 2000

> Also, I think the key word in the description of Lehane, Pelecanos and
> Ellroy is attention. With the possible exception of Ellroy, has that
> attention translated to sales? Are any of these bestsellers?
> Definitely not in the Grisham range.

Who needs to be a millionaire? The greatest writers usually aren't. I wasn't pining for them to sell sell sell.

> Finally, is this bestselling fiction really trying to sell itself as
> hardboiled

Not the Grishams and those so much as the most recent James Lee Burke, James W. Hall, Sue Grafton, Sara Paretsky....

> Now it may just be my punk background, but I for one kind of like the
> fact that my fave reading material is a bit off to the side, is not in
> the mainstream, is even a little frowned upon.

I agree with you so much here. Perhaps I was unclear, then: Would much rather read the niche than follow the sheep. As for frowned upon, that's what makes it worth it, right?

Of course, as far as the money and sales thing goes, it's always nice when I sell a short story that I consider hardboiled/noir. Might just make 40 bucks, sure. Not gonna buy a new house, but it will buy a few rounds at the bar with my friends.

Neil Smith