Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler Omnibus

From: ejm duggan ( ejmd@cwcom.net)
Date: 25 Jan 2000

"cooper" < jane@almaludo.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> --Sorry Ed, it was called the R.C.O, but it wasn't BY him, it was
various
> contemporary writers doing the Chandler two step. I know the idea
sounds
> pretty naff, but it did look a bit intriguing.

I know the book you mean---it *is* an intriguing collection, and as you suggest, it could collapse into parody. It's *not bad* though, an amusing little diversion for the Chandler fan. It's actually called Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe, and consists of 25 Marlowe stories by contemporary writers ... if all this is starting to sound familiar it's because the book first came out in 1988, with 23 stories in; this is a reissue with a tarted-up jacket and a map. The two 'new' stories are on the publisher's website (something like <http://www.ibooksinc.com>)

ED