Re: RARA-AVIS: Why Are You Here?

From: WordRunner@aol.com
Date: 25 Jan 2000

    I'm here because I love the attitudes and world views that play as background music for hard-boiled and noir fiction, and because I knew that the people who post on this list know books and writers I'd like to read if only I knew their names. Also, I find "outsiders" more interesting than insiders, and stark, raw, dangerous, situations compelling and real.
    The most nihilistic noir doesn't interest me, and I'm bored by stories in which no one is appealing or interesting enough to be worth following around for a couple hundred pages. Also, books and films that wallow in gore or cruelty seem like a waste of time. But I love the rest of it, from medium to granite hard boiled.
    I don't read cozy fiction, crime or otherwise, and I've looked at enough of it to know that it makes me grind my teeth.

                                Jim Blue