Re: RARA-AVIS: fredric brown

From: Ron Clinton ( r-and-jclinton@email.msn.com)
Date: 25 Jan 2000

Bob Toomey wrote:

> THE JOHN FRANKLIN BARDIN OMNIBUS contains three novels, two of which are
> very strange indeed: THE DEADLY PERCHERON and DEVIL TAKE THE BLUE-TAIL
> FLY. The first is a mystery as wild as anything Fredric Brown ever
> wrote. The second is a tour de force about a woman descending into
> madness told strictly and with great conviction from her point of view.

I too would give this collection a big thumbs-up. It's surreal, hardedged tone is unlike nearly anything I've ever read. I'd like to recommend other titles by this writer but these aforementioned two novels (along with THE LAST OF PHILLIP BANTER, the third novel of 3 that make up the OMNIBUS) seems to be the three novels that his quiet (?) reputation is built upon. At least, they're certainly the three that are most readily available...and the only ones I've read.

Ron Clinton