Re: RARA-AVIS: Reading Scott Turow?

From: Bob Toomey ( btoomey@javanet.com)
Date: 24 Jan 2000

Pat Zeitoun wrote:

> Did I just choose the wrong book, or is that I am just not going to like
> this author?

Not to sound like a smartass or anything, but shouldn't you make the decision on whether or not you like a particular book?

Personally, when I find myself not enjoying a book, I toss it and go on to the next. I would say my current ratio is around 10:1. That is, I quit on ten books, usually before the end of the first chapter, for every one that I finish. Obviously this means that I miss out on some books that are slow starters, or ones that get better as they go along, but I have a finite amount of time and patience, and approximately an infinite number of books to read. Also, I do believe it's the writer's job to grab the reader and nail him down as soon as possible, preferably in the first sentence, and definitely by the end of the first page, or that reader will wriggle off the hook.

BobT