RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #50

From: Paul Hartshorne ( paul@day1.demon.co.uk)
Date: 23 Jan 2000

Timothy S. Oliver wrote:

>Amazon lists two by Bezzarides. One is called Thieves Market. It's about
>Greek produce haulers in California's Central Valley. Sounds a lot like
>Thieves Highway, the old noir flick with Richard Conte.

I read THIEVES MARKET last month, having bought it as part of a mixed bag of assorted paperbacks from a U.S. dealer. It's a fun book with no likable characters, unpunished murder, theft, double-cross and a memorable to-be-continued style ending.

I'd also never heard of Bezzarides before, but by co-incidence just two weeks ago I was flipping through the latest CrimeTime in Waterstones and noticed that there is an article on him in there. I didn't buy it, so I can't tell you anything about his life, but I did enjoy THIEVES MARKET.

Aside on CrimeTime magazine: When it was magazine size I bought every issue
(apart from #2 which I missed), but since going to the current format I've only picked up one (which had a great Fred Willard short). I think maybe its the format that puts me off, thinking that I could buy another paperback rather than a paperback-format magazine...

- Paul H.