Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Ex-Con writers

From: Bruce Townley ( btownley@sirius.com)
Date: 22 Jan 2000

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 at 20:14 Paul Hartshorne sent: Re: Ex-Con writers

>Have you read IN THE HAT by Dannie M. Martin? Martin is an ex-con who writes
>in a style that reminds me of a written equivalent of the Naive school of
>painting. Simplistic but engaging, and the cockfight scenes are scorching!

Wonder if this is the same Martin who used to a column for the Sunday SAN FRANCISCO EXAMINER while he was still in prison? This column was a terrific piece of work and very much in the tone that you describe. A great natural writer.

Bruce T. = btownley@sirius.com
"That odd paradox - - prizing a toy for the degree it hasn't been enjoyed -
- is at the heart of train and toy collecting."

-Ken Bensinger, "Well-Worn Whistle Stop"