Re: RARA-AVIS: Mexican-Americans in Crime Fiction

From: Timothy S. Oliver ( CSEM@zianet.com)
Date: 20 Jan 2000

> Since hard-boiled westerns have come up recently, I should also note an
> early TV western series, produced by Disney, called *The Nine Lives of
> Elfega Baca*, starring Robert Loggia, which fictionalized the adventures
of
> real-life frontier lawman/attorney of Mexican descent.
>
> JIM DOHERTY

Elfego Baca (1865-1945) was the legendary Sheriff of Socorro County, New Mexico. He was not of "Mexican descent." He was born in New Mexico Territory, USA.

Baca once fought alone against about 80 Texas cowboys for 36 hours, killing four and wounding eight. The Texans reportedly fired 4000 rounds in Baca's direction.

Now that is hard-boiled.

Tim Oliver