Re: RARA-AVIS: My Attempt to start a McBain Thread

From: Bruce Townley ( btownley@sirius.com)
Date: 15 Jan 2000

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 at11:40 Jim Beaver sent: Re: RARA-AVIS: My Attempt to start a McBain Thread

>After years of ignoring McBain, I was drawn to him because I'm a great fan
>of the Japanese film made from his 87th Precinct novel KING'S RANSOM, Akira
>Kurosawa's HIGH AND LOW.

It's interesting to note McBain's far-reaching influence on other modes of popular culture. HIGH AND LOW is a prime example of this. At times very gritty it is also a compelling detailing of the police at work in a big city as well as a very clearly defined cultural cross-section showing how two very different levels of Japanese society functioned a few decades ago.

Bruce T. = btownley@sirius.com