RARA-AVIS: Re: THE LONG GOODBYE and. . .cats?

From: Victoria Esposito-Shea ( vmes@northnet.org)
Date: 14 Jan 2000

>One of the articles in "The Big Book of Noir" is Brackett
>explaining why she scripted the film the way she did.
>Given the basic premise that the film was to be set in the
>'70s, her explanations make perfect sense. No way could the
>novel have been followed closely without it becoming an
>anachronism.
>
>Personally, I love the movie, and I'm saying that as someone
>who would have put the novel on his "Blown away" list, had
>he ever written one.

Me, too. Obviously, there are some plot differences (why is there a Hollywood compulsion to change the killers in Chandler novel adaptations?), but I loved the mood of the movie. And, quite frankly, I don't see how you can read Chandler for the plots anyway--I read his novels for the atmosphere/mood and for the character of Marlowe. That's what I was really looking for in the movie, and that's what I found.

Vicky