Re: RARA-AVIS: THE LONG GOODBYE and...cats?

From: Anders Engwall ( Anders.Engwall@uab.ericsson.se)
Date: 14 Jan 2000

Mark Sullivan:

> Giving Marlowe a cat was actually one of the lesser liberties taken by
> Altman and/or Brackett in the film adaptation of The Long Goodbye.

One of the articles in "The Big Book of Noir" is Brackett explaining why she scripted the film the way she did. Given the basic premise that the film was to be set in the
'70s, her explanations make perfect sense. No way could the novel have been followed closely without it becoming an anachronism.

Personally, I love the movie, and I'm saying that as someone who would have put the novel on his "Blown away" list, had he ever written one.