Re: RARA-AVIS: My Attempt to start a McBain Thread

From: Jim Beaver ( JUMBLEJIM@prodigy.net)
Date: 13 Jan 2000

After years of ignoring McBain, I was drawn to him because I'm a great fan of the Japanese film made from his 87th Precinct novel KING'S RANSOM, Akira Kurosawa's HIGH AND LOW. But I still haven't read KING'S RANSOM, as I'm a bit retentive about reading series books in order. So I tried to start with the first Precinct novel, COP HATER, but I couldn't find it. So I watched the terrible movie made from it, then read #2, THE MUGGER. I really loved it. The procedural stuff is first rate, and the interaction, cameraderie, and disdains of a precinct force seem real and fascinating. I couldn't find the next one, so I jumped to THE CON MAN (is that the title?). I enjoyed it just as much. So I'm very happy there are so many more to read. Hard-boiled? I don't know. Tough, yes.

For 87th Precinct fans, or anyone else: do you consider the Maj Sjowall/Per Wahloo books about Martin Beck hardboiled? I do.

Jim Beaver