RE: Miami Blues (was RE: RARA-AVIS: We're HOW Old? and Willeford)

From: Mark Sullivan ( AnonymeInc@WEBTV.NET)
Date: 12 Jan 2000

Miami Blues and the following Hoke Mosley's were my introduction to Willeford. The first, at least, appears to fit within the genre of the police procedural. Still, it features most of what i have come to love in his earlier books -- touches of surrealism, a hilarious black humor and very interesting, often amoral or sociopathic characters. I'm glad I started with the Hokes, it probably would have been too much of a culture shock if I had started with the others.

However, I've come to be a big fan of those earlier book. My favorite is Burnt Orange Heresy. I love how it is simultaneously a tale of a sociopath and a treatise on aesthetic criticism. By the way, Carroll & Graf just put the book back into print in the US.

Also, the movie version of Cockfighter, starring Warren Oates as the mute narrator, is well worth seeing. And it's got Willeford himself in a small role.

Mark