Re: RARA-AVIS: Let's go to the movies!

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 10 Jan 2000

As long as we have this head to mention I saw both versions of The Getaway last night almost back to back. I think many of the differences show the difference of the times. The Baldwin/Basinger version is is more explicit and violent and shows slightly more skin. I would have no qualms about recommending the Peckinpah version except I like Bassinger a lot better than Ali McGraw, who I think barely justified the word actress, and Michael Madsen who seems more menacing than Al Lettieri. I think like actors in A lot of the minor parts--James Woods vs Ben Johnson' Meg Tilly vs Sally Struthers, and Richard Farnsworth vs Slim Pickens-- are pretty equal. Mark