RARA-AVIS: Re: Hammett's females + loose end

From: Bill Hagen ( billha@ionet.net)
Date: 09 Jan 2000

Phil writes, from his sick bed, "Is it just me, or did it seem like the
>Continental Op role was a shoe-in for Bruce Willis? Or do you think he
>just doesn't do enough shooting?"

That was certainly my reaction as well--seemed like Action Comics.

[Hope you're off your fever, Phil.]

Anyway, I need some help with a loose thread in Red Harvest: I lost track of Bill Quint, Diana's once and not-only, the IWW man who was sent in and stuck around after the company thugs smashed the union strike and then took over the town. Quint distinguished himself early, being offended by Op's fake union cards and treating him to drinks, while filling him in on the history of the town. I thought sure the guy was interesting enough to figure in things later. In fact, Hammett seemed to be setting up a question about him: Why would an IWW organizer be allowed to stick around this nasty town, unless he had made a deal with someone...?

Did he get incriminated and shot while I dozed? Or was he just a bit player who helped get us into the story, and little more?

Bill Hagen
< billha@ionet.net>