Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled westerns

From: pabergin ( pabergin@gte.net)
Date: 09 Jan 2000

Considering the interest in this thread, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Bill Pronzini's character John Quincannon. Quincannon is a Secret Service operative in the novel QUINCANNON, but resigns to start a detective agency with partner/unrequited love interest Sabrina Carpenter, a former Pinkerton, in 1890s San Francisco. Their adventures were chronicled in a number of short stories that appeared in EQMM and Louis L'Amour Western Magazine (and a couple other mags). The stories were collected and published (in 98, I think) as CARPENTER & QUINCANNON: PROFESSIONAL DETECTIVE SERVICES by Crippen
& Landru. It may still be available.

Another novel featuring Quincannon is BEYOND THE GRAVE, written in collaboration with Marcia Muller. It's a pip. With Bill & Marcia writing alternate chapters, it's the story of contemporary amateur sleuth Elena Oliverez finishing a case begun by Quincannon a century earlier. Very nicely done. PB