Re: RARA-AVIS: Fredric Brown, Leigh Brackett and a question.

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Jan 2000

--- Mark Blumenthal < blumenidiot@21stcentury.net> wrote:
> Uppon checking my books, I find I have read 8 Brown
> titles The Browns are all sf. While I mildly
> liked them, I don't remember
> them as exceptional. I think they were pretty light.
> It's hard for me to
> conceive that he is such a loved mystery writer with
> hard boiled
> credentials. Upon reading about him on this list
> I've looked for his
> mysteries, but the few I found were much higher than
> I cared to pay.

Well, it's like everything else, I suppose -- each his own. If you can find a copy of THE FABULOUS CLIPJOINT, though, check it out. It's a wonderfully engaging story, and a good example of what Brown could do in the field.

Personally, I love everything I've ever read of Brown's. I don't think the man ever hit a duff note in his career.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com