RARA-AVIS: Dog Soldiers/Who'll Stop the Rain

From: kip.stratton@ni.com
Date: 07 Jan 2000

I'm glad someone brought up one of my all-time favorite novels, DOG SOLDIERS, and one of my favorite films, WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN (which, of course, is an adaptation of DOG SOLDIERS). The film is hard-boiled, centered around the war in Vietnam and a bad heroin deal and some really bad bad-guys. Nick Nolte stars and he is terrific. The film does a great job of capturing the time, with a terrific score drawn from Creedence Clearwater Revival songs. I'd recommend seeing it first . DOG SOLDIERS, the novel by Robert Stone, is a hundred times better. While it's a quality lit title (it won the National Book Award when it came out), it is an extreme novel, very dark, violent, definitely hard-boiled, with truly depressing downbeat ending. True to life, in other words. A lot of people who have read and re-read the novel, as I have, are disappointed in the movie. But I think the movie holds up for what it is. And you don't want to miss Nolte's performance.

Kip