RARA-AVIS: RE: Burke

From: Mark Sullivan ( AnonymeInc@WEBTV.NET)
Date: 07 Jan 2000

I was a big fan of Burke's for a while. Neon Rain was pretty good, but Heaven's Prisoners was better. In my mind, he peaked with Black Cherry Blues, but held up the quality for a while. I liked Electric Mist, enjoyed the hallucinatory quality of it, partly because it was never really made clear if the visions were truly supernatural or his own constructions, possibly helped along by his being drugged. However, I felt the supernatural elements in later books were just covering sloppy plotting -- I mean, a crucial warning coming in the form of a phone call from a ghost? Come on.

I'm with the others, though, on Lost Get-Back Boogie. It's as good as the best of the Robicheaux books. Are his other early literary books also good? That's the only one I've read.

Mark