Re: RARA-AVIS: you're HOW old?

From: Bleed272@aol.com
Date: 06 Jan 2000

This feels like an AA meeting: My name is Duane, I'm 27, and I'm hooked on Chandler...

Actually, I started out with reading a bunch of Stephen King in 7th and 8th grade, then slowly graduating to Clive Barker and Richard Matheson and a bunch of other horror authors. I didn't really get into Rara Avis-type material until college, when I wandered into a bookshop in downtown Philly called Whodunnit?, owned by one Art Bourgeau (as I later discovered, the author of THE MYSTERY LOVER'S COMPANION.) He turned me on to all of the heavyweights--Chandler, John D. MacDonald, Hammett--as well as Goodis, Willeford, Harry Whittington, Fredric Brown, and a bunch of others. And that started the whole thing rolling....

I discovered Rara Avis, incidentally, through Kevin Burton Smith's masterful THRILLING DETECTIVE site. I may lurk mostly, but I enjoy every single living minute of it.

--Duane Swierczynski