Re: RARA-AVIS: you're HOW old?

From: Mrriter@aol.com
Date: 05 Jan 2000

I was born in 1948. Grew up in a small town in southern Colorado. During junior high years (they don't call it that any more, do they?) when I wasn't hanging out at the bowling alley or the malt shop, I was in the public library. My grandmother warned me that I was ruining my eyes by reading too much. I remember The Thin Red Line and waking up to the power of fiction. I checked out The Dain Curse and that was enough to get me to read Hammett's other books, which led to Chandler, etc. I picked up The Postman Always Rings Twice later in life, college, and that turned me into a Cain junkie for a while. My focus lately has been Chicana/o crime fiction, a small but vital part of the bigger crime fiction field. I continue to read a variety of authors and most recently enjoyed Gresham's Nightmare Alley as well as Lucha Corpi's Black Widow's Web. Manuel Ramos