RARA-AVIS: you're HOW old?

From: McHale, Steve ( SMcHale@filenet.com)
Date: 05 Jan 2000

I'm 40, never read recreational lit (or anything serious) until I was 25 and have not stopped reading since. To atone for my years of being lazy and semi-literate, I've grown to be a real stuffy book critic!

What did it for me was watching Chinatown when I was 20 or so. Loved it. For years, people told me to try some P.I. novels given my fondness for the movie. Tried Chandler when I was 30 and liked it. I decided to try more mysteries and found a bunch with melodramatic looking covers at the 2nd hand store (I bought them for their covers - they were too precious looking with their airbrushed vixens and villains). Lucky for me they were things like Frederick Brown, Howard Browne and Charles Williams. The rest, as they say, is history.