Re: RARA-AVIS: Red Harvest

From: Bruce Townley ( btownley@sirius.com)
Date: 04 Jan 2000

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 at 05:46 Timothy S. Oliver sent: Re: RARA-AVIS: Red Harvest

>Having spent the majority of my career in copper mines and around mining
>towns, I, perhaps have a different perspective here. I believe I read
>somewhere that Hammet spent some of his time with Pinkertons in Butte,
>Montana. "Poisonville" was, no doubt, modeled after Butte.
>
>I agree that the massive bloddletting portrayed in Red Harvest goes well
>beyond any actual events, but readers shouldn't suspend disbelief too far.

Read a book a number of years ago entitled THE SOCIAL HISTORY OF THE MACHINE GUN. It's my recollection that this book cites the Pinkertons as being one of the first bulk purchasers of the Thompson sub-machine gun. These guns, of course, were destined for use against strikers.

Bruce T. = btownley@sirius.com

"I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of crowds."

-Isaac Newton