Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #6

From: Maura McMillan ( mmcm@azstarnet.com)
Date: 04 Jan 2000

In an interview included in Backstory 2, Brackett recalled the construction of the big sleep screenplay:

"I went to the studio the first day absolutely appalled. I had been writing pulp stories for about three years, and here is William Faulkner, who was one of the great literary lights of the day, and how was I going to work with him? What have I got to offer? This was quickly resolved, because when I walked into the office, Faulkner came out of his office with the book The Big Sleep and he put it down and said: 'I have worked out what we're going to do. We will do it in alternate sections. I will do these chapters and you will do those chapters.' And that was the way it was done. He went back into his office and I didn't see him again, so the collaboration was quite simple. I never saw what he did and he never saw what I did. We just turned our stuff into Hawks."