Re: RARA-AVIS: Thanks

From: Bob Toomey ( btoomey@javanet.com)
Date: 03 Jan 2000

tstock@concentric.net wrote:

> I'm sure you have discussed this long before I joined the list, but I was
> interested to discover there was only one female author on my long list:
> Dorothy Hughes.

Leigh Brackett, who was on my list, is female. But that was easy to miss. Howard Hawks was fooled. After reading her classic HB novel NO GOOD FROM A CORPSE, he decided "this guy" would be perfect to write the screenplay for his film version of Chandler's THE BIG SLEEP. When she showed up in his office, he realized his mistake, but he hired her anyway, and he liked her work so much she ended up writing five more movies for him.

BobT