Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-Boiled Dames

From: james.doherty@gsa.gov
Date: 03 Jan 2000

Mention should certainly be made of retired NYC Transit Police Detective Dorothy Uhnak. Preceding Joseph Wambaugh, William Caunitz, Gerald Petievitch, and other male lawmen who've become crime novelists by several years, she was, I believe, the very first female police officer to depict the travails of wmen law enofrcement officers in fiction. I regard *The Bait*, her Edgar-winner, as one of the best NYPD novels ever written. Her
*Law & Order*, her first NY *Times* best-seller, smoothly combined the police procedural with the multi-generational family saga. Her first book
*Policewoman* was a non-fiction autobiography detailing her own career in law enforcement.

Like Edna Buchanan, she lived what she writes about.

JIM DOHERTY