Re: RARA-AVIS: Thanks

From: Mark Sullivan ( AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Date: 02 Jan 2000

I think Leigh Brackett appeared on one of the top fives. She's a woman HB writer well worth checking out. Although she didn't write a whole lot in the genre, it was very, very good.

There have been occasional debates on the list about whether contemporary female PI series qualify as hardboiled, whether or not their extended families (real or, usually, surrogate) and/or recognition of their feelings (things just as evident in many contemporary male PI writers from Parker to Vachss) disqualify them. I don't think they do. They may be medium boiled, but I like the series by Karen Kijewski, Linda Barnes and the first several Sara Paretskys. I never could read Grafton. I also particularly like the recent series by SJ Rozan about a male white private eye and his female Chinese sometime-partner; one is the first person narrator of one book, the other the next. The latest paperback in the series is near the top of my to-be-read pile.

Mark