RARA-AVIS: My Top 5

Paul J. Giguere (pgiguere@ultranet.com)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:13:46 -0500

Okay, here they are in no particular order:

Raymond Chandler (THE BIG SLEEP is how I got hooked on HB) Dashiell Hammett Ross MacDonald James Cain Jim Thompson

After the "cannon" so to speak, I also like:

Donald Westlake (writing as Richard Stark) Robert Parker Lawrence Block (Matt Scudder novels) Dennis Lehane Elmore Leonard (along with Hiaasen and Shames after the top 10)

A lot of people have mentioned James Ellroy. I have never read Ellroy but the reason is that a well-read friend told me that the books were difficult to get into because of Ellroy's quirky narration, descriptions of scenes are cryptic and hard to follow, and that Ellroy seems more interested in style rather than the story. Reviews of Ellroy's books on Amazon.com (and else where) have backed this statement up by saying that Ellroy writes in a way that shouts to world, "Hey! Look at me! I'm writing!". Can anyone convince me to pick up my copy of BLACK DAHLIA and dive in?

Paul