Re: RARA-AVIS: blown away

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 09:44:01 -0500 (EST)

Chandler Hammett Howard Browne/John Evans Richard Stark Ross Macdonald Goodis

Okay, I cheated and listed 6.

It's funny, I read mostly contemporary hardboiled writers, but my list holds the classics. Most of these were read long ago (and re-read later). Chandler was my introduction to the genre, then I went on to mainline just about any PI book I could find, these authors in particular. I came upon Goodis relatively recently, though, and had to read everything I could find. I loved every one, even though his plotting can be absolutely ridiculous, partcularly in Dark Passage, ironically, the first of his I read.

Mark