Re: RARA-AVIS: Helen Nielson's DETOUR

Colonell (colonell@cwia.com)
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 13:24:54 -0800

> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 Bruce Townley sent:
>
> Is Nielsen's DETOUR the book that the Edgar G. Ulmer movie's based on? If
> so, then I'd be very interested in looking it up as I'm a big fan of
> the flick.
  Hi, I just joined the list serv this week and I have a copy of Helen Nielsen's DETOUR. I have not yet read the book but from the plot description on the back cover there seems to be some similarities to the movie DETOUR --guy hitchhiking, gets picked up by a wealthy man, wealthy man dies -- as in the film. But from there it seems to diverge into another story completely

--
tough Sheriff puts the guy, a teenager, in jail for murder, kid has a
secret, but knows to keep his mouth shut.  To quote the back cover:

"Helen Nielson's intricately plotted novel involves a cast of Agatha Christie-like characters set loose - or imprisoned- in an eerie, unfriendly landscape." I hope that information is useful.
R. Colonell