Re: RARA-AVIS: Thoughts and Shots

Bob Toomey (btoomey@javanet.com)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 21:41:53 -0500

Bill Crider wrote:

> I've always thought that the first half of TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT was a
> pretty darn good start at a hardboiled novel. The second half didn't hold
> up for me.

In an interview, Howard Hawks said he told Hemmingway he could make a good movie out of Hemmingway's worst novel. Hemmingway asked Hawks which novel he meant, and Hawks said it was TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT. Hawks said Hemmingway agreed THAHN was his worst book. The rest of us agree that Hawks made a good movie out of it, but he only managed it by basically throwing away the book, something I also did the first time I tried to read it.

BobT