RARA-AVIS: sf/crime

Mark Blumenthal (blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 15:18:43 -0600

> Another SF crime story series worth noting would be those collected in
> Larry Niven's THE LONG ARM OF GIL HAMILTON.

I think all genres touch at some point. There are certainly romance mysteries and something called romantic suspense. We've talked about how many westerns are mystery/suspense in another setting.

My favorite sf author, Jack Vance, wrote conventional mysteries under his full name, John Holbrook Vance. A lot of his sf is basucally mystery mystery in an exotic setting. I'm particularly fond of his Demon Prince series telling of telling of Kirth Gerson's quest to uncover the real identities of five pirates or criminal chiefs who killed his parents when they combined to raid his home planet. At the end of the series Gerson has managed to kill all five. Mark