Re: RARA-AVIS: Woolrich story or novel

Bob Toomey (btoomey@javanet.com)
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 00:52:49 -0500

Jim Beaver wrote:

> I'm looking for a Cornell Woolrich piece called "The Dancing Detective." In
> searching the ABE, I've found references to it as (apparently) a novel and
> possibly (also?) a short story magazine piece. I'm looking for whatever is
> the most complete version, if indeed more than one version exists. Does

"The Dancing Detective" is a short story. It was originally published in Black Mask in Feburary 1938 as "Dime a Dance." It's one of Woolrich's best stories, sharply told in the jive lingo of a young taxi dancer, and has been frequently reprinted, most recently, to my knowledge, in "Masterpieces of Mystery and Suspense," compiled by Martin H. Greenberg. It can also be found in "Murder by Experts," edited by Ellery Queen.

Hope this helps.

BobT