RARA-AVIS: Proposal

John & Carrie (johncarrie@sprynet.com)
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 00:37:16 -0500

I don't know if it's been done here before, but I couldn't find a way to search the archives, so tossing all caution to the wind, I'd like to propose a vote ranking our favorite noir/hard-boiled authors. Entirely unscientific and appropriate for the approaching Millenium (who cares if it really starts in 2001 or not, and besides, it's clear that the world will end right at the stroke of midnight on January 1, 2000, so think of the service that we're doing by creating out own list of the best which may ultimately prove to be entirely pointless).

In any event, I'd propose that each subscriber make her or his own top ten list, assigning points depending upon the ranking (ie, 1=10, 2=9, 3=8, 4=7, etc.) or, if the top ten list is in no particular order assign a value of 5.5 to each entry (which is the total number of possible points available in a top ten list divided by ten), or, if one wanted to vote for less then ten, her or he could do so.

Anyway, how does the list feel about doing something like this? There are much worse things we could be doing, for example....

Tribe